TCT Data Aquisition
TCT Data Analysis
Homepage of Particulars: http://www.particulars.si/
additional informations / manuals / software can be accessed via this homepage
: Installation Manual
Mounting plane attached to Peltier element.
Combine laser head and driver in the single housing
- optics system preinstalled: iris, lens, beam expander, collimator, fibre connector
- focal distance of optics system: 8.4 - 8.5 cm
- short pulses (350 - 400 ps) with puls energy corresponding to ~ 1000 MIP
- LA-01 IR; 1060 nm, 100mW
- pulse width: 100% = threshold at the output stage is at the limit of operation
- 100% narrowest possible pulse (also low intensity) (3.3V from DAC)
- 10% very wide and intense pulse
- max applied voltage: 1-2 kV
- leakage: <500 nA @ 1 kV
- frequency range: lower end <100 kHz; hi end >2000 mHz
- input/output impedance: ~50 ohm / ~50 ohm
- bias voltage: 6-15 V
- amplification: 35dB, 53dB
- frequency range: 0.01 - 2000 MHz
- input/output impedance: ~50 ohm / ~50 ohm
- X, Y, Z stage with range from 0 to 52000 um
| Standard HEP Case, PSU and motherboard
| 16 GB Memory
|| i7-3770 3.4GHz QuadCore CPU
| 2TB WD Hard drive
|| 250 GB SSD
| GT640 2GB
| Microsoft keyboard+Mouse
| Asus 27" monitor
| Cost £938.00 including delivery (+VAT).
USB ports: There are 6 onboard, and 2 in the case (checking the correct cable for the case ports). The system is based on our standard HEP desktop build which supports MWS7 and HEP Scientific Linux 6 if required.
- need LabView V10 or higher and Microsoft Visual C++ VS 2008
- both provided in managed Windows of the University (MWS)
Managed Windows hints
- change power settings:
- 'Set Power-saving level' in 'Install University Applications'
- driver for LeCroy, Textronix
- communication over GPIB
- 4 channel, 1GHz, 5 GS/s
DRS evaluation board
- recommended: 4 channel, 1GHz, 5 GS/s digitization board from PSI (http://www.psi.ch/drs/evaluation-board)
- Four 50-Ohm terminated input channels with SMA connectors.
- Active input buffers which result in an analog bandwidth of 700 MHz (-3dB).
- High bandwidth analog switches for internal voltage calibration.
- Precision clock for internal timing calibration, reaching a precision of a few pico seconds.
- One DRS4 chip, capable of sampling the four input signals simultaneously from 0.7 GSPS to 5 GSPS with 1024 sampling points each.
- One AD9245 ADC to digitize signals from the DRS4 chip.
- One Xilinx Spartan 3 FPGA for readout control.
- A 16-bit DAC to generate all on-board control voltages.
- A serial EEPROM containing serial number and calibration information.
- Internal trigger with user-defined thresholds on any of the four channes.
- Triggering on combinations of the four channels (AND/OR) for coincidence measurements.
- An external trigger input (TTL input 50 Ohm terminated) with a MCX connector.
- Clock input and output connectors (MCX) for synchronizing several evaluation boards.
- A USB 2.0 interface for data readout. This interface also powers this board. The maximum readout rate is about 500 events per second.
- Several headers for debugging of all important control signals with an oscilloscipe or logic analyzer.
- DRS4_manual_rev50.pdf: Evaluation Board Manual
- DRS4_rev09.pdf: DRS4 chip specifications
- offer: 900EUR
- from manual:
- sampling speed up to 5 GSPS and 1024 sampling points
- SMA connectors for 4 input channels, MCX connectors for triggering and clokc synchronization, powered through USB
- inputs AC coupled and input range of 1V peak-to-peak
- maximum allowed input voltage:
- DC: +- 10 V
- Long pulse (<2us): +- 20 V
- Short pulse (<200ns): +- 30 V
- USB 2.0 bus allows data transfer rates of more than 20 MB/sec
- TTI Model TIA-950 O/E Converter
- TIA950Manualforscreen.pdf: TIA-950 Manual
- InGaAS (900-1700nm)
- Post amplifier gain: 1.0, 10.0 selsctable
- Max. linear input power: >0.8mW
- Max. input power without damage: 10mW
- Bandwidth (-3dB): DC to 750 MHz at gain of 1.0, DC to 250 MHz at gain of 10.0
- Output impedance: 50 ohms
- Output connector: BNC
- Fibre optic input connector: FC
- Input numerical aperture: 0.29
- Interstage coupling: AC or DC (100Hz frequency cut off)
- Output offset voltage: < +/- 0.75 V at max. gain
- Max. output voltage: 2 V pk-pk, no load, 1V pk-pk with 50 ohm load
- Noise level: 3 pW/Hz^1/2
- Power required: 9 V battery powers the unit for approx. 30 hrs (no load)
- Keithley 2410 1100V SourceMeter
- GPIB to USB convertor
| Integral Value Limit
| Lowpass Tr
| Lowpass Te
| Max Power
| Dead band
| Heating Gain
| Cooling Gain
| Decay when stopped
- RS: (peltiers tested at CERN)
- to use these peltiers a appropriate power supply (higher output power) is needed
- EA Power supply EA-PS-2042-10B
- two versions designed by Ilya Tsurin; 4 each produced (£123.00 including delivery and VAT):
- YAGEO (PHYCOMP) - CC1812KKX7RDBB103 - CAP, MLCC, X7R, 10NF, 2KV, 1812 £ 1.31 / each (05/11/14)
- MULTICOMP MCMR12X102 JTL RESISTOR, ANTI SULFUR, 1K, 1206, 5% £ 0.0097 / each (min 100) (09/01/2015)
- MOLEX - 22-29-2041 - CONNECTOR, HEADER, THT, 2.54MM, 4WAY £ 0.464 / each (05/11/14)
- MOLEX - 22-01-2045 - CRIMP HOUSING, 2.54MM, 4WAY £ 0.21 / each (05/11/14)
- MOLEX - 22-29-2021 - HEADER, VERTICAL, SQ PIN, 0.1", 2WAY £ 0.26 / each (05/11/14)
- MOLEX - 22-01-2025. - CRIMP HOUSING, 2.54MM, 2WAY £ 0.142 / each (05/11/14)
- MOLEX - 08-55-0102 - TERMINAL, SOLDERLESS, 24AWG £ 0.125 / each (05/11/14)
: Populated PCB (V2.0)
Designed at DESY for the measurements of diodes and strip sensors.
Designed at Liverpool by Samuel Powell for measuring HV-CMOS sensors. The PCB fits the particulars cold chuck mount.
Mechanical changes to setup
For edge TCT measurements a 90 degree angle mount was designed, which allows to mount the cold chuck so that the laser hits the sensor edge. Because of the additional height difference to the laser line, a base plate for lifting the laser was designed as well. This plate has to be placed under the motion stage plate for the laser optics and should be screwed to the bottom of the box. The angle mount can be screwed to the motion stage instead of the '3UBP - Universal Base Plate'
- should be USB controllable
- -40C ... ~+40C
- Liverpool Clean room (other set-ups)
- Thermo NESLAB RTE 740
- Julabo F32
- Huber CC 505
- Huber Unichiller
- PT1000 temperature sensor and connector
Mounting Plane screwed to cold block with Peltier inbetween.
Nylon screw for cold block connection better than metal screw; use Screw Insulator to isolate screw from aluminium (necessary for metal screw).
Cables / Connectors
SMA genders 2
- SMA cables and connectors
- silver conducting lacquer (glueing sensor on PCB, but easy to remove, solvent with ethanol)
- diamond polish paste
- RS Grey Diamond Paste 1/10μm Grade
- RS order number: 315-5125
- diamond lapping film (still need to order)
- 3M Pink Diamond Fibre Optic Lapping Film, 280mm x 230mm, 3μm Grade
- RS order number: 296-0803 discontinued product
- 2 bars to hold sensor during polishing process (CERN: teflon); bar width: 2 cm to clamp sensors which are larger than 1 cm. Use old silicon as distance holder (glued with Kapton inbetween bars).
- cotton bud (for polishing)
Number: 110 434 409
Personal Password: same as for 'anlg'
Password: same as for 'anlg'
Additional Recources (other Institutes)
PID controller with LabView and TRACS simultion software from CERN SSD group:
Weightfield2 simulation software:
KDetSim simulation software:
1st TCT workshop at DESY (05-06/10/2015)
- 17 Sep 2014