Using the ATLAS Software at Liverpool
- Log on to one of the interactive nodes (note: SLC5 is required for all recent ATHENA releases >=15.6.3)
- SLC5 64 bit: iota, theta, ... (or use hepshell64)
- SLC4 32 bit: alpha, beta, ... (or use hepshell)
- The ATLAS software is installed in /batchsoft/atlas/, especially you may need /batchsoft/atlas/athena/<version.number>
Calculate Luminosity Locally
The following lines are needed in order to calculate the luminosity using the iLumiCalc.exe locally:
should be replaced by the athena version that you're running in (e.g. 15.6.9).
the required releases for the luminosity calculations can be found from https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/viewauth/Atlas/GoodRunsLists
New simplified ATHENA setup
Using the AtlasSetup
package the user doesn't have to bother with all the cmt nastiness. This pacakge is replacing AtlasLogin
centrally from release ~16.2.0 on. Long documentation at:
The old cmt-based setup will continue to work as it has done before for releases <16.2.0, so you don't need to change if you don't want to. The advantage of this is that we can setup a site-wide configuration and very little extra user configuration.
The simplest is to source the following setup script automatically in your
, i.e. add:
# atlas bashrc
[[ -f /batchsoft/atlas/atlas_bashrc ]] && . /batchsoft/atlas/atlas_bashrc
Alternatively, add the following lines to your
# Setup AtlasSetup and export site-wide config
alias asetup='source $AtlasSetup/scripts/asetup.sh'
To setup a release one then just has to do e.g.
Note that you don't have to specify AtlasProduction
for caches as it knows about this already. By default it will assume that your TestArea
is wherever you source the asetup script from. If you want to specify a testarea, or any other configuration for that matter, you need to create a file in your home directory called
containing something like the following:
testarea = /user1/gwilliam/AtlasWork15
These setup files are based on INI files (rather than cmt) and, in general, this is the only line you need to specify. One other change to note is that this is setup by default to use the same TestArea
for all caches of a particular release, e.g. it will use 15.6.9 for any 15.6.9.Y, which saves moving TestAreas
too often. If you want to override this you can add to your
the following line under [defaults]:
NB DQ2 does not work after athena has been set up. To use DQ2, type the following in a clean shell
Running in Batch
- Make sure you are logged onto the batch front end hepcluster
- Write a script, AthenaTest.sh, to setup the athena environment and run your job:
echo "Sourcing Athena Setup"
source ~/cmthome/setup.sh -tag=AtlasProduction,126.96.36.199
echo "Running athena"
- If the directory /hepstore/store?/$USER does not already exist, create this directory (where store1..store5 are available, but all use the same volume)
- Check the status of your jobs using
qstat -u $USER
Running in Batch using Ganga
- You can run in batch using ganga. To do this you need to edit your .gangarc by adding the section
submit_str = cd %s; qsub %s %s %s %s submit_res_pattern = ^(?P<id>\d*).hepcluster.ph.liv.ac.uk and ensure the atlas software directory is correctly set
[Athena] ATLAS_SOFTWARE = /batchsoft/atlas/athena and change your gangadir to be on /scratch/<username>. E.g.
gangadir =/scratch/jkretz/gangadir/ This is necessary because the stdout is prevented from going to your user directory
Using Liverpool CVS
- 19 Feb 2007