My talks cover particle physics (general), the Large Hadron Collider, latest particle physics news, the Higgs boson, antimatter, dark matter, the scientific method, CERN, and most things that these topics connect to.
Many of my talks are recorded and then hosted on youtube or google. Here are examples:
- Science festivals and fairs, science/philosophy festivals, literary festivals
- Learned societies (RI, RIA, RS, IET, IOP), regional physics societies
- The Nobel Conference, Gustavus.
- Technology festivals (EO, LIFT, Binary, Thinking Digital), TEDx events (Manchester, Liverpool, Arendal, host at CERN), TED style events (Think Helsinki Think)
- Instant expert, New Scientist Live and others for the New Scientist (also for Scientific American)
- Debates: with philosophers, authors, scientists (How the Light Gets In festival, with the British Council in Mexico)
- Schools, school teachers, undergraduates
- Galleries and arts venues
What's coming up?
- Astrofest, 10/11 Feb 2017
- Particle Physics Masterclass, UCD, March 2017
- CERN patron's talk, Science Museum, March 2017
- Science in the Snug, Liverpool, May 2017
- New Scientist trip to CERN, June 2017
- Introduction to particle physics for this year's CERN summer students, July 2017
- IOP arts/science workshop, October 2017
- Antimatter Matters, with the Orchestra of the Age of the Enlightenment, December 2017
- Scientific American cruise, July 2018
I interview for news, for documentaries, host, guest and help researchers and reporters in film, radio, online, print. Get in touch if I can help you.
- Labreporter: Links to short films, made with Alom Shaha:
- Host of CERN short films about LHC and LHCb
- Host and contributions to CERN google hangouts
- News interviews for News 24, BBC news, BBC breakfast, ITV news, Channel 4 news, World Service, Radio 4, BBC local radio, Drivetime, BBC New Zealand, RTE, and radio in the USA, Mexico and Finland, and many others
- Contributions to documentaries on Radio 3, Radio 4
- Interviews for science programmes on Radio 4 and Irish radio
- Contributions to documentaries on the Discovery Channel, IFLS, BBC, Arte
- Interview for Open Book, with novelist Sara Maitland on Radio 4
- In conversation for BBC World Service with Minal Rohit
- Debate and programme on Falsification as part of Radio 4's A history of Ideas
- BBC iWonder guide on LHC and what it will discover
What's coming up?
- Hosting a short LHCb film on the story of discovery - watch this space!
- Voiceover for Royal Institution film on symmetry
I write, and collaborate with artists and novelists to explore different ways of understanding concepts. I am also sometimes involved in creating particle physics exhibits.
- Antimatter Matters, created for the 2016 Royal Society Summer exhibition. Exhibited in London, Gravity Fields and Manchester Science festivals so far.
- Collaborations with novelists; several under SciTalk, recently Sara Maitland and Adam Marek with Comma Press
- Collaborations with artists; with Christoph Keller, Michael Krause under Arts@CERN, and helping new collaborations with FACT's Collide@CERN programme
- The Liverpool View, Physics Focus, Beyond the Microscope podcasts, and to accompany videos for the Institute of Arts and Ideas
- Essays to accompany short stories for Comma Press, updates for CERN news and the CERN courier,
- I also like reviewing books
What's coming up?
- The No Such Thing as Gravity exhibit at FACT, a pilot for the three year CERN FACT Arts@CERN residencies. Watch this space!
- Art/science discussion with artist Yunchul Kim as part of his FACT residency, April 2017.
- Antimatter Matters at the Big Bang Fair, March 2017.