VELO in the news
- First events seen at LHCb with the VELO during the injection test 22/08/08.
- VELO modules appear on BBC NW tonight (8/7/08), as part of report on particle physics in NW England.
- It's summer festival season and spare "museum grade" VELO modules are on tour:
- VELO makes the cover of Physics World magazine (June 2008).
- VELO makes the cover of Liverpool magazine (Jan. 2008).
- LHCb installs its precision silicon detector story here , also on Interactions, science daily, softpedia,AZonano,CERN courier,Athenaweb (November/December 2007).
- Last module arrives at CERN: CERN courier article.
- Where has all the antimatter gone? - editorial article in First Science.
- Where has all the antimatter gone? VELO seeks the answer - story appeared on Innovations Report, Scenta, Interactions.
- Where the b's are; CERN bulletin
VELO victim of hand baggage rule changeEver thought how you would transport forty-two pieces of detector to CERN? If each was the size of a VELO module you might be tempted to do what we planned to do - put it in a specially designed transport box and courier it to Geneva via Easyjet. Which works fine, until hand baggage restrictions are tightened .... story appeared in the December edition of the University of Liverpool Precinct magazine.
MP bonds VELO module
Andrew Miller, MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston, visited Liverpool on January 26th as part of the 2006 Royal Society MP-Scientist pairing scheme with Tara Shears. The devil, or in this case Mike Wormald and Themis Bowcock, finds work for idle hands! Andrew bonded part of VELO module 60 during his tour of the cleanroom. Module 60 is a production module and will be used inside the experiment. It works perfectly - Andrew must be a natural bonder.
42nd VELO module arrives at CERN
The forty-second module was delivered to CERN on Monday, 26th February. Don't drop it!!